Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Neighborhood Advent: Day 8, Experience 7

I went for a run along the waterfront in the morning and returned totally soaked and windblown and in no mood to leave the building for a new experience.  So, when I encountered people selling bahn mi sandwiches in the office building lobby, I decided that this would be my Pioneer Square Experience for the day.  Okay, it's kind of a stretch as it's not a P.S. establishment, but it was my first bahn mi sandwich and it was in Pioneer Square... 

What did provide the experience more local flavor was a lady who was in line behind me talking extremely loudly.  At first, I thought she was just yelling into her cell phone so I tried to ignore her, then I realized that she was speaking loudly at the group in the lobby in a not-so-sane-way - then I really tried to ignore her.  She kept talking about the homeless on the streets and weren't we fortunate we had a hot lunch - I think she was trying to imply that we were complicit in the homeless situation.  Pioneer Square is a center for the local homeless population, which is not insignificant in Seattle.  I heard loud-lady order three sandwiches as I tried to escape, and she mentioned that she was going to go out and share with others.  I hope she paid for said sandwiches (I didn't stick around to find out), as the sandwich sale was raising money for Northwest Harvest, the local food bank distribution nonprofit. Needless to say, I did not take any pictures. 

The sandwich, by the way, was delicious - soft and chewy bread, crunchy and flavorful veg, creamy sauce, well seasoned pork - it disappeared very quickly!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home