Monday, April 10, 2006

Here's Hoping It's Not a Heartbreaker

With a week to go before the Boston Marathon, I've fully entered pre-race freakout mode. I'm particularly worried about the course, as I've only run relatively flat marathons. The latest Runner's World has some tips for training for Boston, one of which is to be sure to include hills in your long runs, especially late in the run. Great info; it would have been very useful FOUR MONTHS AGO! (I've run all of my long runs on the relatively flat Burke Gilman trail). A classmate of mine (who is an amazing runner) thinks that Boston is overhyped and she's looking for my Seattle-runner based race report. Her theory is that anyone who runs in Seattle runs hills and doesn't think I should worry about it.

Jeff was clever enough to put the following elevation profile together comparing Portland's course with Boston's. I must say, that I was a little surprised at how much the course descends. My fears are a bit eased.

3 Comments:

Blogger kristen said...

that profile overlay is really cool! and really, really geeky! :o)

good luck at boston...i'll be cheering for you. just from a looooooong way away.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The big climb of Portland miles 13.0->17.5 is very similar to Boston 16.0->20.5, but I guess Boston is more of a shock to the system since the body has been doing a slight-downhill grade for 16 miles.

4:51 PM  
Blogger eileen said...

It is a tough course, but the crowds are AMAZING and provide lots of motivation on the uphills. I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck! Have fun!

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home