Friday, March 31, 2006

Trail Note: The Fall

Monday I went on my last big (second of 2, 20 milers) run before Boston. I got on the road at a decent time, the weather was great (sunny, upper 40's), and I my legs felt pretty good; all was going great. Then, just after I passed the 6 mile mark, I tripped and fell. I don't even know what I tripped over; I had been putting my water bottle back in its holder, running in the dirt path next to the paved trail, and the next think I knew I was falling. I landed full out flat, like I land when I fall snowboarding (don't want to break a wrist), and hit hardest on the front of my left hip bone, with some minor bumps and scrapes on my left elbow, right palm, and right knee. I considered turning around and heading home at that point, but considering that I'd have still had to run 6 more miles and would need to do that 20 miler at some point (I'd already missed a 19 and a 20 miler when I was sick in February), I decided to shake things off, brush off the dirt, and continue running. A few miles later I stopped briefly in a park to refill my water and use the rest room. As I started running again, in addition to the pain from the bruise forming on my hip, I felt an odd pain in my chest, on the left side. I looked down and was surprised to see that there was dirt on my shirt there. It stopped hurting once I got going again, however, and assumed that I pulled a muscle a bit as I was trying to break my fall. I finished the run feeling pretty strong with an average pace of 9:20 minutes per mile.

As the week has gone on, the pain in the chest has gotten worse. My current thought is that I bruised (or maybe cracked?) a rib when I fell. It still hurts when I breath deeply, turn over in bed, and especially when I sneeze. I tried to run yesterday and managed to get in a very very slow 4 miles, but it hurt the whole time, and in trying to minimize the pain, I've knotted up my back.

I think things are a little better this morning. I'm going to try another run today and hopefully things will have loosened up. I got a packet in the mail from the Boston Athletic Association yesterday; we fly to Boston in 2 weeks. I'm sure that all will be good by then.

4 Comments:

Blogger eileen said...

Oh no! It sounds like a bruised rib (which should heal on its own in a few days) but you might want to go to a doctor to make sure it isn't fractured.

5:26 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

ouch.

are you feeling better?

hope you have a speedy recovery.

6:31 AM  
Blogger brigita said...

I hope that some Advil and extra pampering from your fancy fiancé gets you on the mend soon. Looking forward to cheering you on on the 17th—you guys'll have to let me know what your schedule is so I can meet up with yas! Woo!

8:42 AM  
Blogger Tricia said...

Thanks for the comments, folks. I probably should have seen a doc, but was pretty sure that I would just be told to rest and take ibuprophen, so thought I'd wait it out and see if things got better. It is feeling better, although I developed a painful knot in my back, probably through avoiding pain in the front. Whine whine whine. ;)

Brigita, we were sure that you'd be long gone by the 17th; that's great to know that you'll still be around! One of us will email with details soon.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home