Sunday, March 30, 2003

Atkins Update: The Good, the Bad, and the... Messy?

It's been 2 weeks of my Atkins diet and I'm down 5 pounds. Well, it's not quite been 2 weeks, because I jumped off the wagon on Friday night. I'd been beginning to go a little crazy the last few days of last week, unable to think of anything but what I couldn't eat. That's no way to live, so I decided that I needed a short breather. Some pizza, several beers, and a few hours later, I was full, but still not feeling better. I woke up Saturday morning feeling terrible. Note to Kris: I certainly never felt this bad after carbs before; my body must have lost its tolerance. I decided, however, to spend one more day in carb-land, eating those things I'd been missing. I didn't go too crazy: had Atkins-friendly breakfast and dinner, but ate lots o' movie popcorn, a very tasty cherry mocha shake, and a few glasses of red wine before the day was done. Today, I'm back on board, ready to lose at least 5 (and maybe 10 or 15) more pounds. My current plan, however, is to take a day or so off every 2 weeks, just for my sanity.

Here are some notes from the last few days for those looking for inspiring low-carb meals and snacks:

The Good:
Omelette with spinach, feta cheese, and artichoke hearts
Grilled halibut with a tomato/olive/anchoivy sauce
Chicken taco salad with fresh guacamole and cilantro sour cream

The Bad:
Sauted lettuce (I mixed it up with escarole)
Cobb salad made with escarole (they really look similar) and too many hard boiled eggs

The Messy:
Homemade coffee frappe; it got everywhere, and just tasted like cold, watery coffee

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home