Saturday, October 19, 2002

I think it's still Friday in Hawaii right now

1. How many TVs do you have in your home? 3, 2 of which are hooked up.

2. On average, how much TV do you watch in a week? This varies drastically between winter (more) and summer (very little). It also depends on whether I'm alone (more) or not (much less). So I'd say it varies from 5 - 10 hours a week, this past week I've watched about 5

3. Do you feel that television is bad for young children? Most TV probably is (I'm not up on the current kid shows, which are probably innocuous; I have to check out Sponge Bob Square Pants one of these days). Probably most of the TV young kids isn't that bad, but it's got to have something to do with declining attention spans and hyperactivity. Kids hypnotized in front of a TV is a scary thing to see. Kids should be playing outside, reading books, or figuring out how to entertain themselves alone. I watched Sesame (sp?) Street and some cartoons as a young kid, and that was about it. I understand how hard it is to keep kids quiet and occupied, but I do think some people use TV as a babysitter some times.

4. What TV shows do you absolutely HAVE to watch, and if you miss them, you're heartbroken? I like to think that I don't have to watch any shows. There were times (those sea-going years, college) when I watched no TV and didn't miss it. Now there are shows I routinely watch (Frasier, Ed, West Wing, Friends, Scrubs, Will & Grace, ER)., but would not schedule my life around them. TV is like any other habit: once you've broken it, it's easy to abstain. Currently, I'm mildly addicited. I could stop any time I wanted, though. ;)

5. If you had the power to create your own television network, what would your line-up look like? NPR with pictures. Interesting news told from a mostly liberal perspective. Foody shows. Books and movie reviews. A little comedy (like the Daily Show or Kids in the Hall). NO SITCOMS!

All in all, while I think that some television is quality entertainment, there's very little of it that's really worth my time. I rarely treasure the time that I've spent in front of the TV, unlike time I've spent with friends, or with books, or outside, or participating in a hobby. That being said, I watch it quite a bit. I tend to fall into it when I'm lazy or bored or lonely. I watched a lot more when I lived in Richmond. I guess I use it to babysit myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home