Wednesday, September 25, 2002

It's all happening at the zoo...

Brigita's recent post about the goings-on at her local zoo took me back to some of my favorite zoo's and zoo experiences..

One of my first, very fuzzy memories was going to the Bronx Zoo with my great-grandparents while they still lived in NYC.

I went to the National Zoo several times growing up. I loved that they had painted animal footprints leading to the various exhibits (there are now no longer in use so you can just see the faded prints leading nowhere). I also loved the signs everywhere asking you to join "FONZ" or Friends of the National Zoo. When I was a little kid, The Fonz was the epitome of cool.

One summer as a midshipman I was based in San Diego for my summer training. At the time, the San Diego Zoo offered free admission to service members in uniform, so a huge group of us doned uniforms and went to the zoo. All of the ladies changed into "civies" as soon as we were passed the gates, while the guys kept their uniforms on and collected admiring looks for the rest of the day. One of the best zoos ever, and certainly the best in the US.

On my second deployment I visited the Singapore Zoo, which I've heard to be one of the best in the world. I had breakfast with an orangatang (sp?) and volunteered at one of those reptile shows, where I had snakes draped all over me.

I went to the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle a few years ago, which is a very nice one. I meant to go last year, when we had a baby elephant, but I haven't made it back. I run by it occasionally, which is fun in itself.

I've gone to the National Zoo a few times in the last few years; my sister lives within walking distance of it. Last time we went, we witnessed Panda Love. For those who are curious, the usually quiet pandas make very interesting, loud noises.

Now that song is stuck in my head and I want to go out and rent the Graduate (another great zoo connection).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home