Friday, September 20, 2002

If I'm so good at math, how come I can't put 2 and 2 together?

I've been spending my lunch hour eating a turkey salad sandwitch (a little odd) and figuring out how to re-format my page. I've been suffering from "Error 503: Unable to find template" all week which has prevented my posts from publishing. It's an error I've encountered before that usually fixes itself after a few days. This time, however, I got fed up and saw from a threaded conversation that other bloggers have fixed the problem themselves by switching to a new template and then going back to the original template. Some were frustrated because they had done a lot of work modifying their templates, but since I have no idea what I'm doing, there was nothing for me to lose.

Or so I thought...

I had forgotten that when I first set this page up, I had to make changes to add the commenting feature. I didn't remember this until I switched templates, found my entries published, but w/o the ability to comment.

Back to the drawing board.

While in the process of adding the html to my template to allow for comments and troubleshooting to figure out how to get the right alignment, spacing, font size, etc. (not a problem I remember from the first time around), I realized that I was really enjoying the process. It's really not that difficult, and amazingly like those programming classes I took in high school (turbo Pascal) and college (Fortran). I really enjoyed the programming, debugging, etc.

The lightbulb flashed on. This is another programming language. This is what all of those computer programmers do. This isn't that mysterious. I could do this. Although considering the fact that it has taken me 10 years to figure this out, maybe not.

Now I'm really looking forward to my winter project of learning how to do stuff on the computer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home