Friday, September 13, 2002

Friday Five!

1. What was/is your favorite subject in school? Why? Math, probably differential equations, calculus, or algebra. Why? Because it's all about problem solving and figuring stuff out. Calculus is one of the most practical subjects I've ever taken; I find it useful in day to day life all of the time. I don't understand why people say that it doesn't matter if you don't get math as a kid; it's extremely important. Did I mention that I'm a geek and math is the thing in life that I'm absolutely best at?

2. Who was your favorite teacher? Why? Ms. Depew, 10th grade English. While math was my favorite subject, high school English was my favorite class, and 10th grade is when I had a great teacher (Mr. Bullet in 8th grade was great, too, but we had much better class dynamics in 10th). She challenged us to think about literature and about life. I also participated in public speaking in 10th and 11th grades, and she sponsored that.

3. What is your favorite memory of school? I seem to remember that I had a "perfect day" in 6th grade. I don't remember the details of it now, but I can't remember a time in life when I was that happy. Except for the junior high years, I always liked school.

4. What was your favorite recess game? I don't know; I liked most of them. I did love to do gymnastics during recess: windmills and penny drops on the pull-up bars.

5. What did you hate most about school? People who picked on me: Laura Hickey (that was her real name) in 5th grade; Beavis and Butthead in 7th grade gym (those were not their real names, but when I first saw the cartoon years later I recognized them). Random aside, the aforementioned Mr. Bullet was also featured in Beavis and Butthead as the peacenik teacher. Mr. Bullet wanted to BE John Lennon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home