Monday, January 02, 2017

A Teff Adventure Part 2

Last January I bought some teff flour and unsuccessfully attempted injera, as related here.  A few weeks ago, I decided to make pancakes and for some reason teff popped into my head.  Thanks to the amazing powers of the internet, a few minutes later I had a recipe for teff pancakes.  I followed the recipe with a few exceptions:  I used all teff flour, rather than the 50/50 mix of teff and wheat flours in the recipe, I used maple syrup for the sweetener, I did not use blueberries, and I used yoghurt and a little milk in place of the buttermilk (which I don't keep around).   Since I used gluten free oats, the recipe was entirely gluten free.

Result:  fantastic!  I don't usually like pancakes because if I eat enough to be full, I also end up feeling gross - not to mention the wheat-belly badness that comes from all of that gluten.  Alternatively, the teff version was delicious and really filling.  They were a dark brown color, so looked a bit odd, but they tasted just like pancakes should.  And, I was full for hours afterwards, unusual for a breakfast that felt very carb-heavy.  This will be my go-to for any pancakes going forward and an excellent use of the rest of that that teff flour in the cupboard.  Unless I decide to have another try at injera.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home