Saturday, January 19, 2008

Let it Snow! (certain terms and conditions apply...)

Last Friday, Jeff and I headed up to the slopes for the first time this year. Before this, we'd only been once in the last 3 or so years. Winter 2005 had no snow and the last two winters I felt too busy with school work to take a whole weekend day away (not that I actually did much work on the weekends, but I always planned to).

As winter approaches, I spiritedly join in the chat about how this had better be a great year for snow, rain in town just means for great snow, yadda yadda yadda. But, I'm not entirely sincere. I took up snowboarding about 8 years ago, but with the exception of 2002, have never gone often enough to really feel that confortable on the board. I never developed great skills, and I'm extremely cautious about speed. So, while I know in my head that it can be a lot of fun, my stomach gets a bit jittery thinking about it.

Friday, we enjoyed our week day off from work by sleeping in and then digging out all of the dusty gear, so it was 10 am by the time we left the house. We ended up on the slopes from about 11:30 to 3:30 (short break for lunch), a duration that seems awefully short, but I was plain wiped out by the time we got on the lift for the last time. There is a lot of snow right now, making things easier from a keeping-it-slow perspective. I was sore for the next few days (surprising all the muscles snowboarding uses - particularly if one falls a lot) and the bruises are still fading, but it was a good day out. We're definitely planning on heading out again soon!

Monday: snowshoeing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home