Monday, November 12, 2007

For Those Who Serve

My grandfather's younger brother, Philip, was killed during World War II. My father is named after him. Philip was engaged to a woman named Kris. After losing her betrothed, she never married. She remained in touch with my grandmother and my father's aunts and now my mother keeps up the correspondence. She sent a very thoughtful gift when I got married last year.

For Veteran's Day today, I'm thinking not only of those who served overseas, but for those who served at home. The wives, mothers, and families of those service members have sacrificed just as much, if not more, than those who actually fought. They raised families on their own with little support. While my great-grandfather was a POW in WWII, he didn't even get paid, so my great-grandmother had to find other means of financial support. While conditions (pay, communication) have improved in recent years, the situation of having a loved one overseas is just as emotionally difficult.

Thank you to all who have served and to all who have supported those service men and women. You are remembered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home