Monday, October 27, 2003

Doing the Time Warp

Between Max's RHPS post and Brigita's reference to the Naro, I can't help but remember the first time I saw the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I think I was 14 and a sophmore in high school. I went with my friends Nancy and Alison, and Alison's boyfriend drove us to the old theatre (complete with balcony and stage) in his world-famous-el-Camino. I can't believe my parents let me go, in retrospect, into downtown Norfolk at night (was it a school night?) to see such a movie. During the pre-show I was carried on stage by a regular after admitting that I was a RHPS "virgin." I loved the movie, although was a little shocked by parts (and by the live actors' costumes), and probably didn't understand a great bit of it. We had rice and toast and newspapers (prepped by Alison) and I was wearing all black, so fit in more or less. In college, they showed the film outside every year on Halloween, and I always went, surprised to find so few people who knew what to bring or what to say. I don't think I've been since (I went once on a school break), but every now and then remember how much fun it is to go, and how I'd love to take Jeff, a "virgin" who probably won't get carried on stage. If only I could stay awake past 11 pm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home