Friday, August 08, 2003

It's finally Friday afternoon, and now I can take a lunchtime breather for the Friday Five


1. What's the last place you traveled to, outside your own home state/country? Outside of my home state (I guess the state in which my home is located?), my last trip was to Virginia for work with a little family visit worked in (VA's my other home state; the one in which I lived the longest). Other than the intra-country travels, I was last in Hungary on the REI trip.

2. What's the most bizarre/unusual thing that's ever happened to you while traveling? Good question. The most interesting place that I visited was UAE in the Persian Gulf. It's much less Westernized than anywhere else I've visited. The first time I was there was during Ramadan, and one evening I was in a taxi with friends, and when the sun set the driver parked, us in the cab, and left us for about 30 minutes while he broke his fast. Another interesting adventure was "One Night in Bankok" in which 2 friends of mine and I explored the Bankok nightlife from dusk 'til dawn. Too many experiences in that night to recount (and the memory is fuzzy).

3. If you could take off to anywhere, money and time being no object, where would you go? Where wouldn't I go! Up on the list are New Zealand and Peru. I've always wanted to explore more of Europe; I want to spend more time in Eastern Europe, and I've spent only a couple of days in Western Europe, so I want to explore Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Norway,....

4. Do you prefer traveling by plane, train or car? It depends. If I'm traveling < 20 miles I prefer by bike. Since I grew up taking road trips, I do enjoy a long car ride as an independant way to travel long distances, seeing interesting things along the way. Since I don't have unlimited time, however, planes are the generally preferred travel means. While I like the train, I don't think of it as an option traveling from or within the U.S., as it's as expensive as flying and as time consuming as driving. Typical American thinking, I suppose.

5. What's the next place on your list to visit? I am planning another work trip to Virginia for next month, and will return a few more times before the end of the year. I would like to spend a weekend in either San Fransisco or Las Vegas some time this fall. I have friends who are getting married in Phoenix this fall; if invited I might go there. After the "big vacation" this summer, there might not be another trans-oceanic trip in the near future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home