Monday, August 04, 2003

Trail Notes

This was my last weekend to prepare for next weekend's Courage Classic, so decided I needed to do back-to-back rides (not too tough; I'm tapering) to prepare.

Saturday we rode over to Mercer Island to meet up with my sister and friends for a pre- Blue Angels viewing brunch. The ride down to Lake Washington and across I-90 is a familiar one to me now; some day I may actually be able to navigate it on my own. The day was cool to begin with (riding downhill into the Center of the Universe, temps in the low '60's, I was very tempted to stop in at the new Peets for a warmer-upper), but the day warmed up a little and was sunny with just enough clouds to prevent being blinded while staring up at the jets. While it was cool to watch the show, I'm still a little bitter about naval aviators, having driven them around for 3 years, while they landed just meters above my bed while I tried to get precious moments of sleep. Time to get over it. By the time I got home, I'd probably riden about 30 miles, with some respectable hills.

Sunday we rode over to West Seattle and back. Instead of wisely staying along flat, SoCal-like Alki Beach, however, we rode up and across West Seattle, riding up one of the steepest hills I've even encountered on bike. All in all, the ride wasn't much longer than 30 miles (took us 2 1/2 hours), but it was hill after hill. Predictably, the sorest part of me was the sitting part. The muscles were tired, but still had a little left in them at the end.

I have one more ride this week (after work tomorrow; 40 flat and fast miles with the work-crew), and then rest before braving the passes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home