Sunday, January 19, 2003

If the president really wanted to hear from me, he'd get a VRU

My mom forwarded the following email to me on Thursday night / Friday morning:

Here's another way to act on the proposed war in Iraq which you can do before Saturday's march and from the warmth of your home/office.

A call for peace

The Bush White House has an "opinion" line for you to call. So call and give your opinion of the proposed war in Iraq. The line only accepts calls from 9-5 EST., Monday thru Friday. Just call the White House at 202-456-1111. A machine will detain you for only a moment and then a pleasant live operator will thank you for saying "I oppose" or "I approve." It will only take minutes. Note that the weekends are closed for calls. The president has said that he wants to know what the American people are thinking.
Let him know. Time is running out. Then please forward this e-mail to at least five people right away. Tell them what you think: 1 PHONE CALL EQUALS 10-20 PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T CALL. PLEASE PASS ON TO FRIENDS


As I have failed to write to my representatives in Congress and was not able to attend Saturday's anti-war marches, I jumped on this opportunity to voice my opinion. Unfortunately, however, my yahoo mail service just couldn't manage to forward the email along and the 202-number was busy all day on Friday. (If he really wanted to hear from us, you'd think that he could afford a 1-800 number). I did finally make it through at 3 minutes before the lines closed for the weekend, and made my statement.

If you can afford the long-distance charges, I can highly recommend making the call. The operator just asked me what state I was calling from and what I wanted to say to the president. I can probably think of a lot more to say if I really thought about. Hmm... the pnone lines open up again tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home