Saturday, July 27, 2002

Trail note

It's been a while since I've had one of these. I've still been running (mostly according to plan), but today was the first big run in a few weeks. I did 18 miles, and kept up a pretty good pace up until the last mile (ranging from 9 - 9:30 minute miles). I'm roughly following a training plan from Jeff Galloway, who has a theory that your body can do what it has done before comfortably. Thus he has us running a couple runs actually at or greater than the marathon's 26.2 miles. That theory certainly held true today. While my knees began hurting after 10 miles and my feet began to ache after 14, I felt pretty great until I passed the 15 mile mark (my longest run to date). At that point I just felt generally unwell: breathing didn't feel right and I was a little lightheaded and naseous. I felt really ill for the first 1/2 after I returned home.

This is how I felt after my first half-marathon and after most of my long runs while training for my first marathon, and I think the feeling is due to dehydration. I thought I'd be okay today, as I drank about 50 - 60 ounces of water while running (I love my camelback), but it didn't quite do it. I think I have discovered the magic recovery food, however, and today's test provided that it was right on. While training for my first marathon I ate a lot of salt and vinegar potato chips and I had a large handfull after the big race for a "healthy lunch" and then proceeded to follow my parents around all afternoon as they explored Richmond shopping (they purchased a lovely rug in the process). Long story no shorter, I felt really good the next day and recovered very quickly, especially compared to others' post-marathon recovery stories I've heard. After reading an article about how vinegar helps one absorb/retain electrolytes and hearing about the importance of staying active after a long run, I'm convinced that the walking around and the salt and vinegar chips were the key to my successful recovery.

Bottom line: Today I ate my chips, am off now to shop, and I'm feeling good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home