Monday, July 22, 2002

Yeah, I know it's Monday, but this Friday Five is too good to pass up for a trivial detail like day of the week:

1. Where were you born? Honolulu, Hawaii (Tripler Army Hospital, for those who are familiar)

2. If you still live there, where would you rather move to? If you don't live there, do you want to move back? Why or why not? I only lived there for a year (my first birthday was at the Hawiian Hilton, of Don Ho fame). I've been back 3 times, all brief port calls while in the Navy. It's a great place to visit (and according to my parents, great to live for a couple of years), but no place to live for an extended period of time. First of all, the weather is too hot and humid for long durations. Secondly, it's too far away from family. Finally, it's too wierd feeling like a foreign tourist in the USA. I felt more at home in Austrailia than in Hawaii. Something about being white, I guess.

3. Where in the world do you feel the safest? My parents' house in Montross VA. They don't lock the doors, even if we're off on a boat ride for several hours.

4. Do you feel you are well-traveled? I guess it's all relative. (Kris captures my thoughts about this very effectively). I am compared to most Americans my age. I'm not at all compared to my father, who has been just about everywhere (except India and New Zealand).

5. Where is the most interesting place you've been? Dubai, United Arab Emirites. Traveling in an Arab country (especially as a woman) is very strange. The first time I was there it was during Ramadan, and you couldn't eat, drink, or smoke during daylight hours (a cab I was in at sunset actually stopped for 30 minutes as the driver broke his fast). The prayers broadcast from towers all over the city 5 times a day added to the intrigue. Best shopping EVER! (And I'm not a shopper).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home