Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Since Dear Blank, Please Blank* probably won't publish this...

Dear RV driver,

Hi! Isn’t this fun, out on the open road? Open, windy, hilly road… It’s making you a little nervous; I can tell. Not so nervous that you’re going to slow down, though. You’re not going to let this road get to you. After all, you got this RV for ADVENTURES! You’re not going to let those pesky cyclists get you, either. I don’t know why they need to use this road obviously meant for the true recreational-vehicle-driving-adventurer, but, here we are together, sharing. Speaking of sharing, could you do a little more of that while you’re passing? Washington State law requires 3 feet distance when passing bikes, but I’d be perfectly happy with 2. How about we split the difference? You move over 1 foot, and I’ll stay one foot to the right of the white line. This will guarantee that I don’t get hit with one of those big side mirrors if I flinch when you fly by at 70 mph. Did you ever take physics in high school? Remember that Bernoulli's principle thing? That’s what happens when a big flat vehicle traveling fast creates a slipstream that I can actually feel pulling me into the road when you fly by; cool in theory – a little scary in practice. I know that you don’t want to be a burden to the others on the road by moving over, even just a foot or two. The semi-trucks, however, somehow always seem to give me at least half a lane; an extra foot or two from you would be great. Enjoy your adventures, you recreational-vehicle-driving stud.

Sincerely,

The fellow traveler balancing on two skinny tires with nothing but spandex separating skin from pavement.

* Jeff's company makes the iphone app for this site; terrific time waster!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home