Saturday, May 10, 2008

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Concert

Umm... we missed the concert.

We bought tickets to the Cloud Cult show a month or so ago, our desire to see this band again live overcoming our old-and-stodgy tendency to pass on any late night shows / activities. We determined that if the doors opened at 9, with a few opening bands, the absolute earliest Cloud Cult would play would be 11. So, in order to make sure that we were awake and able to see a show, we carefully planned our evening.

We knew we could not go home. If we did our usual Friday night routine (swim after work, get home a little 7, make and eat dinner), the siren song of the couch would keep us from leaving the house. So, we would stay downtown.

We could not spend the evening hanging out in a restaurant or bar, or we risked getting too sleepy by the time the show started. Solution: a movie, with plenty of caffeinated soda to get us wired. After some happy hour snacks and beverages, we caught the 7:45 showing of Iron Man at the Cinerama.

We got out of the movie a little after 10 pm and made our way to Capital Hill. We got to the venue about a half hour later to find lots of kids outside the club. I overhead someone saying "I felt like they were singing just to us!" My stomach was starting to sink. "What if they started early?" I asked. Jeff thought I was being ridiculous; "what closing band ever goes on before 11?" We walked into the club to find the lights on, people ushering everyone outside, and I saw the bill. Doors open at 8, first band soon after, and Cloud Cult 9:45 - 10:30. Second showing doors would open at 11.

We looked at our tickets again: doors at 8. We looked at the bill: added, second show! First show sold out! We then looked at our tickets again, for the sold out show that had ended less than 10 minutes ago.

Jeff and I are planners, to an annoying degree. I get downright neurotic when it comes to schedule details, especially pertaining to tickets. I check and recheck dates. And we spent a lot of time planning for this evening. We planned perfectly for a missed concert.

At least we really enjoyed Iron Man.

4 Comments:

Blogger eileen said...

Aw, that stinks! I once missed a Modest Mouse concert because I lost the tickets. I was so mad at myself.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Tricia said...

Yeah, we're trying not to beat ourselves up too much, but did have a brief moment yesterday when we turned on the radio to hear their new song playing.

I have to say it makes me feel just a tiny bit better to hear that you've done something similar and with a band that I also love.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Sugarmouth O'Riordan said...

That would have made me absolutely CRAY-zee. Kinda like when Jody and I were killing time (watching the craptastic "Invincible") before our flight back from Cronley's wedding, only to find out that our flight had been moved up (and had since left) and that the ticket counter was closed. Color me ripshit (and eternally mad at Utah).

11:46 AM  
Blogger Tricia said...

How terrible! Missing a flight is my nightmare; I get all neurotic about travel logistics every single time I fly. Your last comment is great; I spent about 5 years anti-Chicago because I couldn't exchange pound coins in O'Hare after a trip to England because they didn't exchange "change."

I think the most frustrating thing about this was that it was our fault and it was completely preventable. But, it's a new week and we've (mostly) moved on.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home