Friday, November 18, 2005

Trail Note: Back to Basics

Wednesday, I found myself reaching that point where I didn't feel that I had enough time to get anything done (studying for one class, reading for another, homework problems for a third, getting hours in for work...) and also feeling guilty about not running. After spending 5 minutes walking back and forth between the computer lab, the lounge (where someone observed that I looked upset / stressed), and my locker at school, the choice became clear: I could either sit in front of a book and not focus on it, or hit the trail.

I ran north on the Burke Gilman trail from the IMA (student gym) and I could feel myself relax with every step. The trail was littered with bright yellow leaves, and the grey skies made every tree a beacon of color. After a summer of training with very specific pace goals, it was fantastic to not worry about pace, just about putting one foot in front of the other. By the time I'd covered a few miles, I'd forgotten about the econ midterm and classes and whatever else it was that had been bothering me. As the day got darker, I turned back and picked up the pace. When I returned to school, I felt great and ready to tackle that homework that had been so overwhelming just a short time earlier. It reminded me why I run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home