Wednesday, July 13, 2005

No, I don't get extra credit points for this

I'm taking an amazing class this summer that is sadly about to come to an end called "Public Leaders as Teachers." I took it mainly because I wanted to take some classes this summer, and it was one of few offered, and it did sound interesting. It's taught by Eric Liu, an author, radio and tv host, professor, former Clinton speechwriter, etc. and is about how as public leaders, we are always teaching, and we should be mindful of this, and understand what tools we are using, values we bring to the table, and impact we are having. We have a guest speaker every class who is a local public leader, and he askes the guest some questions about his/her role, leadership, teaching, and then opens the floor to questions from the class. We then spend the second half of class with class member case studies, discussing leadership challenges that we are presently facing and getting advice and insight from our classmates. The 3 hour class time flies by, and I have treasured every Tuesday and Thursday evening I have spent in this class.

If this sounds the least bit interesting to you, I recommend that you check out Eric's latest book, Guiding Lights, a story about mentors and their students. I read it in 2 evenings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home