Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Trail Note: Shorts!

The indoor/outdoor thermometer at the house said it was 66 degrees when I dressed for my run yesterday (I knew it was off, but wasn't sure by how much), which is well in my shorts range. To keep my knees warm, I wear tights if it's below 60 degrees out, even when that means I'm wearing a short sleeved shirt.

I felt pretty good on my run. I'm gradually ramping up the miles, and am starting to feel like a runner again. I'm remembering what it feels like to train for a marathon. There were a couple of days last week where I didn't feel like running, was tired or sore or whatever, and a few weeks ago I would have used that feeling to take a day off, but instead I got out on the trail and ran anyway. I had a few bad runs where I never shook off the tired feeling, but I've had a couple good ones where once I got going and loosened up, I felt fine and enjoyed the run. I was reminded about how the tough part of running a marathon isn't those 26.2 miles on race day, but rather those dozens of training runs where you don't feel like starting, or don't feel like you can finish, or you don't feel up to the long run, but you do it anyway, despite heat or cold or rain or sore muscules. And then you do it again the next day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home