Monday, February 14, 2005

Trail Note

We didn't get to Vancouver this weekend, so didn't run the half marathon. Jeff wasn't feeling well and is starting a new job today, so he had a lot to do to get ready. We therefore thought that spending the weekend out of town with a long run in the cold might not be the best idea.

I thought about doing my own half marathon on Sunday, perhaps looking up and running the route for the Seattle half, but I wasn't that motivated. Instead, I ran along the Burke Gilman trail for an out-and-back 10+ miler. The miles are marked on the trail, so I could keep an eye on my pace, which was consistently 8:30 minutes/mile or faster, which is good. If I had been able to keep up that pace for 13.1 miles, my time would have been 1:51:30, close to what I ran at Vancouver in 2002 and 2003 (2004 was a couple minutes slower). So, not too bad. Especially as the adreneline of a race might have pushed me a little faster.

The weather was actually pretty good: temps in the low 40's and the sun was out most of the way with a bit of a brisk breeze. I managed to get an unplanned sprint near the end of the run. I was approaching the Freemont Bridge, which is about 1/2 from my house, when I heard the sound of a boat's air gun signaling the wish to open the drawbridge. Not wanting to stand shivering for the 5+ minutes it would take to open and close the bridge, I turned on the speed, managing to cross the bridge just seconds before the operator started to begin to close the gates. I hope the operator saw my thank you smile and waves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home