Sunday, April 18, 2004

In my mind I'm goin' to Carolina...

I thought that I was mentally prepared for this 10 year college reunion. I was ready to feel a little out of place, a little intimidated by impressive degrees, accomplishments, and perfect families, and a little old. I prepared for all of the wrong things.

I wasn't expecting the obvious; I was taken off guard by nostalgia.

I had a fantastic time. I caught up with friends Friday afternoon (all of whom had decided to ditch any husbands, fiances, boyfriends, and / or children for a girls weekend), and had a posse to hang with for the remainder of the weekend. I was slightly bemused by the changes in the last 10 years (buildings where parking lots were, very young looking students attached to cell phones), but very surprised at how little the campus and my friends had really changed. I'm a glass half-empty kind of person, and I think I just remembered the uncomfortable parts of college. I wasn't remembering all of the good times and just how much I enjoyed spending time with my classmates. Driving away today back to my parents' house, I was half-wishing that I was just driving home for the summer, and that we'd all be back to start another semester in the fall.

It didn't hurt that it was a picture perfect weekend. The weather was warm and sunny, the dogwoods were blooming as the trees were just budding green, the azealas were just hitting their peak, and the Gardens were incredible.

Perhaps it's all a conspiracy designed to get me to donate more money. It might just work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home