Tuesday, July 08, 2003

It's way past Friday, but here's a good list 'o Five

1. What were your favorite childhood stories? Ah, so many favorite childhood stories, so little time... I suppose the fact that my mother is a childrens' librarian is part of the reason I still love childrens books so much. I loved everything by Louisa May Alcott, all of the Laura Ingalls Wilder books, L.M. Montgomery's Anne books, the Betsy-Tacy books, Judy Blume, Norma Klein, Narnia books; I could go on and on, but here's a start.

2. What books from your childhood would you like to share with [your] children? Of course all of the ones listed above and (to steal a page from Jeff's book), the Harry Potter books.

3. Have you re-read any of those childhood stories and been surprised by anything? Well, there's the obvious answer of the religious themes in the Narnia books, and the strong lecturing / morality tone to L.M. Alcott's books, but I can't think of too many other surprises. And I have read all of my favorite childhood books over and over and over again.

4. How old were you when you first learned to read? 4? I'm not sure. I know that one of my first memories is watching my older cousin sit down with a Nancy Drew book rather than play with me, and that was what inspired me to learn to read. I couldn't understand how anything that looked so passive could be so enjoyable.

5. Do you remember the first 'grown-up' book you read? How old were you? Grown-up is appropriately in quotes. I remember reading Charlotte's Web in first grade, and that was exciting because it had chapters. I also remember being very proud of the fact that I read Gone with the Wind in less than a week when I was in seventh grade. Other than that, I can't think of a good example.

This is such a great topic for the heart of the summer. I always associate summer with reading, specifically childhood favorites. This is the time of year that I reread my childhood favorites, actually. My parents gave me the edition of the L.M. Alcott books that I loved as a kid a few years ago, which is good, because if I were to try to read another edition, without the exact same illustrations with the words on not quite the right place on the page, it would be very disturbing (yes; I've read these books way too many times).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home