Monday, August 21, 2006

Top Ten Signs You're an Older Student

1. Entirely new statistical techniques have been developed since you last took stats
2. Speaking of statistics, when the teacher wants to demonstrate a distribution using the students' ages as the data set, you realize you are the reason it's skewed
3. You'd rather take a class that starts at 9 am than one that ends at 9 pm
4. You remember chalk, mimeographs, and computer punch-cards
5. It takes you six months to realize that people typing on their laptop during class are IM-ing their friends, not taking notes
6. You find yourself starting sentences with the phrase "back when I was your age"
7. You realize that you have more work experience than the professor
8. You're constantly complaining about "those children" you keep seeing around campus
9. You're the only one who gets the instructor's jokes
10. At the beginning of the first class people look to you to go to the front of the room and begin the lecture

(Thanks, MMM, for that last one.) I'd be happy to take contributions for better ones...

I have over a month before classes start, but I'm sending positive thoughts to those of you on the semester system starting right now.

3 Comments:

Blogger brigita said...

Guess I should be glad I didn't bother taking stats as an undergrad!

How 'bout all it takes to be the best dressed student in class is to only wear flip flops between the months of June and August. Sometimes I just want to grab those kids and give 'em a good SHAKE.

I'm sure I'll have more a week from today (ack!).

11:21 AM  
Blogger eileen said...

Hah- I love it! How about 11. You get asked if you have a faculty discount when purchasing a textbook at the bookstore.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Tricia said...

Good ones!

I've decided that 25 is the dividing line for wearing flip flops all year round. I worked with a youth program last year and we did outdoor field trips in January and the high school girls wore flip flops. They said that eventually they just stop feeling their feet, so they're not cold anymore. I guess that's one solution.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home