Wednesday, January 07, 2004

Trail Note

With the half marathon 4 1/2 weeks away, I suppose that I should start getting serious about running. I was surprisingly good the week of Christmas (logged 25 miles), but my January milage to date has been fairly poor. Last week I only ran 3 times for a total of 16 miles (5, 7, and 4 mile runs) than had a slack weekend (felt like a cold might be coming on, then was tired from trip on Sunday and a long day at the office on Monday).

With yesterday's snow and the fact that I was attached to the phone all day working from home (literally, the headset was on from 7 am to 5 pm with about an hour break) I feared that I would go 4 days in a row without running or any workout. Treading carefully to the grocery store at the end of the day, however, I saw a someone running through the streets and was motivated to get home and put my running shoes on. I ran the 3.5 miles around my hill and saw several fellow runners, but more sledders and snowboarders enjoying the snow and the steep roads. I stopped for a moment at the top of Queen Anne Drive to watch the extreme sledders and the cops in a standoff - today I heard that video of that street and those playing on it was shown on the news all day, and that there was at least one injury. Anyway, there is something about the light at night in the snow; the air just glows. Everything was quiet and peaceful and I felt great (3 days off will do that to you, I guess).

This morning I was advised to come in a little late, so took the opportunity to get out for another run. This morning felt like running through a slurpee; much less fun than last night, and a little slower for the same route, but I felt good afterwards.

One of these days I suppose I'll have to actually use that gym membership and get on a treadmill. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the elements.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home